Jury Duty (Butler County)
Jury Trial Safety Video
Serving on a Jury During the Pandemic
Health & Safety
We understand serving on a jury can be time-consuming and can cause anxiety during routine times. Needing to serve on a jury during a pandemic can heighten that anxiety. The Kansas Judicial Branch would like you to know that we are grateful for your service and take the job of keeping you safe and healthy very seriously. Prior to reinstating jury trials, the 13th Judicial District consulted with local health officials and had our safety plans reviewed to assure we met the guidelines set forth by state health officials. On this page, we will provide you information on the steps we have taken to keep you and our employees safe. If you would like more detail of the steps the court has taken to assure public and safe, you may download our brochure with more detail. Thank you for your patience and your service to Butler County and the State of Kansas.
Steps We Are Taking to Keep You Safe
- Sanitation - The courtroom is cleaned at the end of each day in accordance with the standards established by the county facility management and county health department.
- Physical Distancing – All individuals in the judicial center must wear a mask and maintain 6-feet of physical distance from one another. Each courtroom is limited to the judge with limited court staff, attorneys, defendant, and security. Public may access the jury trial via live streaming.
- Hygiene – There are respiratory hygiene stations located outside of security desk and in the hallway outside of the courtrooms. The court will also provide personal bottles of hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes to each juror.
- Symptomatic Jurors – If you are summoned for jury duty and become ill prior to or during the trial please call 316-322-4378 as soon as possible. DO NOT REPORT FOR JURY DUTY IF YOU ARE ILL!
- High-Risk Jurors – If you are summoned for jury duty and fit into one of the high risk categories outlined by the Center for Disease Control please call 316-322-0148 or email questions to the Butler Clerk of the Court.
Steps You Can Take to Help Us Keep Others Safe Too
- Wash your hands often – Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use hand sanitizer. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact – Assure you maintain at least 6 feet or more distance between you and others.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a mask – Assure you wear the mask that is provided to you and that it covers both your nose and mouth. Do not remove the mask unless you are outside or excused from the judicial center or alone in a room.
- Monitor your health daily – Check for symptoms daily prior to reporting to the judicial center. Look for:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion/runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
You may complete the jury questionnaire online or fill out the copy of the jury questionnaire you received in the mail. The questionnaire must be returned within seven (7) days of jury selection. It can be submitted on-line, placed in the judicial center drop box, or returned in the self-addressed, stamped envelope provided by the Butler County Court Clerk’s Office.
Reporting for Jury Service
Please report for jury duty to:
Butler County Judicial Center
201 W Pine
El Dorado, KS 67042
What You Should Bring
Please make sure you remember to bring:
- Driver’s license
- A light jacket or sweater
Access to the Judicial Center
Enter the judicial center from the north side. When you enter the judicial center, you will be asked to scan your wrist to check your temperature; provided a mask to wear while in the courthouse, and use the kiosk to answer the five COVID-19 screening questions.
Note: If you are running a temperature or do not meet the criteria under the screening questions, you will be provided a phone number to call for a new date for jury summons.
Once you answer all the questions a name badge with your picture will be printed at the security desk. You will move to the security desk to pick-up your name badge and have your items scanned for entry into the judicial center. The name badge will also provide which courtroom you will assigned to for jury orientation.
If you have any questions concerning jury service please call, 316-322-4378, 316-322-4373 or email questions to the Butler Clerk of the Court.
Daily Jury Update
- Current Juror Schedule